Sunday 24 March 2013

Turkish Restaurants...and Music

It being my last night in a big resort for some time I decided to splash out on dinner.
I went to "Seraser", which Lonely Planet called "arguably the city's best".
As you can see it is a sumptuous place.


And quite, quite deserted - a bit like dining in The Shining's haunted Overlook Hotel.


The food left me wanting more...


But the "Sultan's Coffee" dessert was as delicious as it looks...





Finally, I must vent a little about Turkish background music. Firstly, it isn't
Turkish. I wouldn't mind terrible music if it was authentically Turkish - but it
isn't. It's British. It's British pop standards from the last 30 years being
covered by some sibilant, whispering ghoul who sounds like a cross between
Astrud Gilberto, Whispering Bob Harris and the chorus line of the Evil Dead
Musical. It's eldritch and unearthly.

I've heard "Wonderwall" and "Boys Don't Cry" this evening.
"Boys Don't Cry" did actually bring me close to tears.
Oh, that reminds me - I heard "Shout" by Tears For Fears too...but then again even the original of that song makes me shudder.

And it's not just in tonight's restaurant, it's happening everywhere.
Yesterday I was forced to endure "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics and was genuinely alarmed for the first time by the lyric:
"Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused"

It was like hearing a messagge from the pits of Hell itself...
I'm thinking of buying a crucifix...

No comments:

Post a Comment